2012 Masters Results (VIDEO)
With so much talk about whether this would be Tiger Woods fifth green jacket or Rory McIlroy’s bounce back after last year’s collapse, two guys looking for their first career Masters title stole the show: Bubba Watson (USA) and Louis Oosthuizen (South Africa). After a two-hole, sudden death playoff, tears of joy poured down Bubba Watson’s face as the American celebrated his first major tournament victory with his family.
“I dreamed about [winning the Masters],” he said. “I just never made the [winning] putt.”
But the win didn’t come without some drama. After hitting his tee shot into the woods on the second playoff hole, Watson appeared to have left the door open for Oosthuizen to win his second major. However, the 29-year-old 2010 British Open champ couldn’t capitalize, as his tee shot landed on the second cut, which didn’t allow him to reach the green in two on the par-4 10th.
After watching Oosthuizen land short of the green, Watson knew he had a chance to win the tournament, but needed a spectacular shot to put himself in position to do so. With a blind-shot at the green, Watson executed one of his best shots of the tournament. With trees blocking his view of the flag, Watson hit a wedge high into the air and landed it just 15 feet from the hole. Two putts later, he had his first green jacket and major all at the same time.
“Hit a crazy shot that I saw in my head and somehow I’m here talking to you with a green jacket on,” he said. “Hooked it about 40 yards. Hit it about 15 feet off the ground until it got under the tree and then started rising.”
Watson stringed together one of the most improbable runs in the back-nine, as he birdied four consecutive holes to force extra holes at -10. In the end, his winning line reads: 69, 71, 70 and 68. Check out the top-12 on the final Masters ledger and watch Watson’s post-Masters press conference:
- 1. x-Bubba Watson: -10 [$1,440,000]
- 2. Louis Oosthuizen: -10 [$864,000]
- T3. Peter Hanson: -8 [$384,000]
- T3. Matt Kuchar: -8 [$384,000]
- T3. Phil Mickelson: -8 [$384,000]
- T3. Lee Westwood: -8 [$384,000]
- 7. Ian Poulter: -5 [$268,000]
- T8. Padraig Harrington: -4 [$232,000]
- T8. Justin Rose: -4 [$232,000]
- T8. Adam Scott: -4 [$232,000]
- 11. Jim Furyk: -3 [$200,000]
- T12. Fred Couples: -2 [$156,800]
- T12. Sergio Garcia: -2 [$156,800]
- T12. Hunter Mahan: -2 [$156,800]
- T12. Graeme McDowell: -2 [$156,800]
- T12. Kevin Na: -2 [$156,800]